A C C U R A C Y

Shipping Limited

Follow Us

US prepared to strike Iran this weekend, but Trump yet to take call: CNN

US prepared to strike Iran this weekend, but Trump yet to take call: CNN

Rising tensions between the United States and Iran have placed the Middle East on edge, with reports suggesting that the US military could launch strikes as early as this weekend. However, according to CNN, President Donald Trump has not yet made a final decision on authorising military action.

The situation marks one of the most serious escalations in US-Iran relations in recent years, with a significant buildup of American military assets across the region.

Massive US Military Buildup in the Middle East

CNN reports that the White House has been briefed on the military’s readiness to strike Iran following a rapid and substantial deployment of air and naval forces. At the same time, The Wall Street Journal noted that the US is building its largest Middle East air power presence since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Advanced fighter jets, including the F-35 and F-22, along with command-and-control aircraft, are moving into strategic positions. US Air Force tankers and support aircraft are also being repositioned closer to the region to enhance operational readiness.

On the naval front, the US presence has expanded to 13 warships, including:

  • USS Abraham Lincoln currently operating in the Middle East and eastern Mediterranean

  • USS Gerald R. Ford, which is heading toward the region and could arrive as soon as this weekend

This marks the most significant concentration of US air and naval power in the region in over two decades.

Trump Weighs Military and Diplomatic Options

Despite the military preparations, President Donald Trump has yet to authorise an attack. Sources told CNN that Trump is privately weighing arguments both for and against military action while consulting advisers and key allies.

On Wednesday, senior national security officials convened in the White House Situation Room to assess the evolving situation. Trump was also briefed by special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner regarding indirect talks with Iran held in Geneva.

The discussions, which lasted more than three hours, failed to produce a clear breakthrough. While Iran’s top negotiator cited agreement on certain “guiding principles,” US officials stated that critical details remain unresolved.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Iran is expected to clarify its negotiating position in the coming weeks. She emphasised that diplomacy remains Trump’s preferred option but confirmed that military action remains on the table.

“There are many reasons one could argue for a strike,” she stated, adding that Trump is relying heavily on advice from his national security team.

Iran Reinforces Nuclear Facilities

Amid growing military pressure, Iran is reportedly reinforcing several nuclear facilities. Fresh satellite imagery and analysis by the Institute for Science and International Security indicate that key sites are being covered with concrete and large volumes of soil.

These defensive measures suggest Tehran is preparing for potential airstrikes while continuing diplomatic engagement.

Range of Military Options on the Table

According to The Wall Street Journal, Trump has been briefed on a spectrum of military options. These range from limited, targeted strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities to a far broader campaign that could target dozens of Iranian leaders with the aim of destabilising or toppling the government.

Officials indicate that either scenario would likely unfold over several weeks rather than as a short-term operation.

Axios reported that US officials believe any strike would likely involve a sustained, multi-week campaign, potentially conducted jointly with Israel and larger in scale than last year’s 12-day Israeli-led operation.

One White House official reportedly estimated the chances of military action in the coming weeks at 90 percent, highlighting the seriousness of the situation.

A Narrowing Diplomatic Window

With military assets surging into position and diplomatic talks yielding limited progress, the coming days may prove critical for Washington’s strategy toward Tehran.

While Trump continues to deliberate, officials acknowledge that the window for a negotiated solution is narrowing. The current standoff   marked by military posturing, reinforced nuclear facilities, and uncertain diplomacy   risks escalating into a broader and more prolonged conflict.

As global markets and regional allies watch closely, the next decision from the White House could significantly reshape the geopolitical landscape of the Middle East.

Our Tag:

Share: