Trump says change in power in Iran ‘would be best thing that could happen’
Strategic Shift in U.S.–Iran Tensions
Donald Trump has stated that a change in power in Iran “would be the best thing that could happen,” as his administration weighs possible military action against Tehran.
The remarks came shortly after the U.S. President visited troops at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and confirmed the deployment of a second aircraft carrier strike group to West Asia. Speaking to reporters before boarding Air Force One at Pope Army Airfield on February 13, 2026, Trump reiterated his frustration with Iran’s leadership, saying, “For 47 years, they’ve been talking and talking and talking.”
Second Aircraft Carrier Heads to West Asia
At the center of the escalating tensions is the deployment of the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier. The Ford is being redirected from the Caribbean Sea to West Asia, where it will join the USS Abraham Lincoln and its guided-missile destroyers.
“In case we don’t make a deal, we’ll need it,” Trump said regarding the second carrier, adding that it would be leaving very soon.
The Ford strike group will bring more than 5,000 additional troops to the region. Although it may not introduce significantly new capabilities beyond those already present with the Lincoln group, the addition of a second carrier effectively doubles the number of aircraft and munitions available to U.S. military planners.
However, given its current position in the Caribbean, it may take weeks before the Ford reaches the coast of Iran.
Diplomatic Efforts and Broken Negotiations
The deployment comes amid faltering diplomatic efforts. Indirect talks between Iran and the United States were held in Oman a week ago. However, negotiations did not materialize into a breakthrough, even as one of Tehran’s top security officials traveled to Oman and Qatar to exchange messages through U.S. intermediaries.
Trump warned that failure to reach an agreement would be “very traumatic” for Iran. “I think they’ll be successful,” he said of the negotiations. “And if they’re not, it’s going to be a bad day for Iran, very bad.”
Tensions had already been heightened following a 12-day conflict last year involving U.S. bombing of Iranian nuclear sites after indirect negotiations collapsed in June.
Regional Concerns and Gulf Warnings
Gulf Arab nations have cautioned that any U.S. attack on Iran could trigger a wider regional conflict in West Asia, which is still grappling with instability following the Israel–Hamas war in Gaza.
Meanwhile, inside Iran, the government faces mounting domestic pressure. Iranians are holding 40-day mourning ceremonies for thousands reportedly killed in a crackdown on nationwide protests last month. Combined with ongoing sanctions, these developments add to the strain on the Islamic Republic.
Iran has consistently maintained that its nuclear program is intended for peaceful purposes. Before last year’s conflict, the country was enriching uranium up to 60% purity technically just short of weapons-grade levels.
Israeli Concerns and Strategic Talks
Trump recently held discussions with Benjamin Netanyahu, emphasizing the need to continue negotiations with Tehran. Netanyahu has urged Washington to push Iran to scale back its ballistic missile program and halt support for militant groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah as part of any potential agreement.
The dual-track approach combining diplomacy with military buildup reflects a high-stakes balancing act.
Military Readiness and Deployment Challenges
While the reinforcement signals U.S. readiness, it has also raised concerns within the military establishment. The Ford first set sail in late June 2025 and is nearing an eight-month deployment. Extending its mission could disrupt maintenance schedules and impact crew welfare.
The Navy’s top officer has previously warned that prolonged deployments beyond the typical six- or seven-month period can be “highly disruptive,” affecting personnel, family life, and long-term equipment readiness.
For comparison, the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower had a nine-month deployment to West Asia during 2023–2024, much of it spent countering Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen. The ship entered maintenance in early 2025 but exceeded its planned completion timeline, underscoring the strain extended deployments can create.
A Broader Strategic Debate
The Ford’s redeployment appears somewhat at odds with the administration’s broader national security strategy, which emphasizes focus on the Western Hemisphere. However, U.S. Southern Command has stated that operational readiness in Latin America will not be compromised despite the evolving force posture.
As tensions with Iran intensify, the coming weeks will be critical. Whether through renewed diplomacy or potential military action, the trajectory of U.S.–Iran relations could significantly shape the geopolitical landscape of West Asia in 2026 and beyond.
The deployment of two aircraft carrier groups underscores the seriousness of the moment a clear signal that Washington is preparing for multiple scenarios while leaving the door open for a negotiated settlement.
